Shanty houses. Dusty roads. Toddlers with swollen bellies. Many Americans often associate these images with poverty, and they are not always incorrect in doing so. But Victor Boutros, a ’94 Baylor alumnus and federal prosecutor, thinks they are missing a huge piece of what the impoverished world faces on a daily basis — systemized violence.
AUSTIN — The last abortion clinic in the vast, impoverished Rio Grande Valley closed Thursday, along with the sole remaining clinic in the 100-mile stretch between Houston and the Louisiana border, posing a tall obstacle to women seeking to end pregnancies across a wide swath of the nation’s second-largest state.
The Heart of Texas Urban Gardening Coalition and the Baylor Community Garden will host its first Junior Master Gardener Club meeting the week after spring break.
The BearWeb login portal will receive a makeover Saturday, as a team of students and staff from Baylor ITS, ITS advisory, registrar and student services work to make BearWeb easier to navigate.
Local businesses have the chance through the Cen-Tex African American Chamber of Commerce to be counseled and network with other businesses.
Baylor earned its fourth straight berth to the Big 12 tournament championship game after beating the Oklahoma State Cowgirls 65-61 on Saturday at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla. Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey also earned her 400th career win on Saturday.
- Lady Bears cruise past Kansas Jayhawks 81-47
- Bears on road for season finale versus Kansas State
- No. 1 Lady Bears are favorites to win Big 12 tournament
- No. 12 softball crushes Louisiana Tech 10-1
- Baseball hosts Cal State Fullerton for weekend series
- Cowboys, DeMarcus Ware at odds over contract
- Don’t Feed the Bears – High Expectations for Baylor, USA Soccer
- Bears topple Lamar
In this week’s podcast, Taylor Rexrode and Taylor Griffin discuss John Travolta’s name slip at the Academy Awards and the recent deal struck between Dish Network and Disney to stream Disney-owned channels online. The new Jesse Eisenberg film “The Double” coming out May 9 is the subject for a new “Trailer Trash.”
- Lady Gaga to perform at SXSW for first time
- Toddlers tinker away in family music class
- E! picks up first scripted series
- Could Disney’s ‘Frozen’ play bigger role in theme parks?
- Mayborn takes visitors back to Texas settler life
- Artists live on ‘human hamster wheel’
- Torchy’s Tacos set to open next month
- Dish, Disney deal envisions Internet-delivered television