By Ben Everett | Sports Editor, Jessika Harkay | Sports Writer, DJ Ramirez | Sports Writer, Noah Torr | Executive Producer, Elisabeth Tharp | Sports Director
With the school year coming to a close, the Lariat sports desk took a look back at the year in Baylor sports. Voting on five different categories, here’s who took home our awards:
Team of the Year: Women’s basketball
Won Big 12 regular season and tournament championships.
Coach of the Year: Kim Mulkey
Hall of Fame coach led Lady Bears to 37-1 season and third national championship.
Male Athlete of the Year: Makai Mason
Averaged 14.9 points per game and led men’s basketball to NCAA first-round upset.
Female Athlete of the Year: Kalani Brown
Averaged 15.8 points per game en route to third All-American nod and title run.
Top five moments
1. Women’s basketball claims third national title with 82-81 win over Notre Dame.
2. Denzel Mims’ game-winning catch against OSU in the homecoming game.
3. Acrobatics and tumbling captures fifth-straight national championship.
4. Soccer takes down Virginia to advance to second-straight Elite Eight.
5. Makai Mason scores career-high 40 points in blowout win over TCU.