Bears open Big 12 play with a tie

Senior midfielder Ashley York kicks a corner kick Friday at Betty Lou Mays Field. The Bears would end the game tied, 1-1 against Texas. Photo credit: Jessica Hubble

The Bears opened conference play with a tie against Texas Friday night at Betty Lou Mays Field.

“Defensively, I thought we played really well. Texas is a very good team. They aren’t going to be any week teams the rest of the way through here. We were definitely prepared, and I thought we played well. The score is really evident of the game. I thought it was an even game, so I can’t be disappointed there,” said head coach Paul Jobson.

From the start both teams battled to take control, but were shut down by stellar defense on both ends of the fields.

Although the Bears (7-3-1, 0-0-1) had a good look on goal in the first half, both teams would stay scoreless entering the second half.

“I thought they did a really good job defensively shutting down some of our speed. I think we could have taken care of the ball a little better at times, but I have a lot of young kids in the front field,” Jobson said.

It was the Longhorns (6-3-1, 0-0-1) in the 47th minute that got on the scoreboard after a turnover in Baylor territory.

I think our biggest thing was that we didn’t start the second half very well. I think that if we start the second half a little bit better, a little bit sharper, the way we started the first half, it’s a different game and I think we would pull out the result.

Down a goal, the Bears would answer right back in the 57th minute. Junior defender Caitlin Schwartz drilled one in the back of the net after a perfectly placed pass by sophomore midfielder Sarah King.

“It was my first goal so it was awesome, but I mean I didn’t even have time to celebrate. It was time to turn around and try and push through to win the next goal,” Schwartz said. “I think we did awesome. We came back and tied it up. We just need to keep grinding and get ready for the next game. We didn’t get the results, but we just have to keep going.”

Both teams would have good looks on goal, but were unable to capitalize as time expired in regulation.

Entering overtime, both teams had one shot on goal in the first overtime, but neither team was able to connect with the net.

“We usually out shoot a lot, but I think today we did a better job getting better chances on goal and the keeper just had to make great saves,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz lone goal would stay as the equalizer for the Bears and give them one point as they head deeper into conference play.

“You obviously want three points here at home, and the other team is like ‘man we are happy with getting one point on the road’ but obviously we will take one point over zero points any day,” Jobson said. “I just thought we could have done better beginning the second half, but other than that I thought it was a pretty even game, and I am proud of our team. Both of these teams are very good when they score first. Being able to battle back and play all the way through the extra time, I was proud of that.”

The Bears next test comes on the road at 1 p.m. Sunday against Oklahoma State.