The Moody Library fire alarm went off at around 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, forcing all who were inside the building to evacuate.
Most of those in the building waited at the designated safety zone at 3rd St. on the grass across the street.
Sgt. Clint Fisher said the alarm was set off by a bulb on the third floor that went out and emitted smoke.
While some inside the building like Starbucks employee Rosie Garcia said they thought it was a drill, other students had other theories.
“Well somebody’s speculation was that something went wrong at Starbucks or maybe a gas leak,” said Galveston junior Kristina Scott said.
Beth Farwell, associate director for central libraries, said the students followed protocol and did not cause any trouble for the Emergency Evacuation Team.
“It can be fun to plan it but scary when it happens. Especially the library since we’re a building full of paper,” Farwell said.
The staff at Moody tests the alarms monthly to make sure they can be heard. They also frequently have test drills in case an emergency unfolds.